Main Article Content
Currently, social networks such as Facebook or Twitter are getting more and more popular due to the opportunities they offer. As of
November 2009, Facebook was the most popular and well known social network throughout the world with over 316 million users. Among the
countries, Turkey is in third place in terms of Facebook users and half of them are younger than 25 years old (students). Turkey has 14 million
Facebook members. The success of Facebook and the rich opportunities offered by social media sites lead to the creation of new web based
applications for social networks and open up new frontiers. Thus, discovering the usage patterns of social media sites might be useful in taking
decisions about the design and implementation of those applications as well as educational tools. Therefore, in this study, the factors affecting
â€œFacebook usage timeâ€ and â€Facebook access frequencyâ€ are revealed via various predictive data mining techniques, based on a questionnaire
applied on 570 Facebook users. At the same time, the associations of the studentsâ€™ opinions on the contribution of Facebook in an educational aspect
are investigated by employing the association rules method.
Keywords: Artificial neural networks (ANN), Association rules, Decision trees, Facebook, Social networks, Support Vector Machine (SVM ).
Submission of a manuscript implies: that the work described has not been published before, that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere; that if and when the manuscript is accepted for publication, the authors agree to automatic transfer of the copyright to the publisher.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work
- The journal allows the author(s) to retain publishing rights without restrictions.
- The journal allows the author(s) to hold the copyright without restrictions.