Main Article Content
Security has become one of the major issues for data communication over wired and wireless networks. A dynamic routing algorithm
has being proposed that could randomize delivery paths for data transmission. The algorithm is easy to implement and compatible with popular
routing protocols, such as the Routing Information Protocol in wired networks and Destination-Sequenced Distance Vector protocol in wireless
networks, without introducing extra control messages. Our security-enhanced dynamic routing could be used with cryptography-based system
designs to further improve the security of data transmission over networks. In this paper, we present a novel encryption-less algorithm to
enhance security in transmission of data in networks. The algorithm uses an intuitively simple idea of a jigsaw puzzle to break the transformed
data into multiple parts where these parts form the pieces of the puzzle. The algorithm is designed to provide information-theoretic (that is,
unconditional) security by the use of a one-time pad like scheme so that no intermediate or unintended node can obtain the entire data. An
authentication code is also used to ensure authenticity of every packet.
Keywords: Data protection, Dynamic routing, Key management, One-time pad, Security algorithm, Security-enhanced data transmission.
Submission of a manuscript implies: that the work described has not been published before, that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere; that if and when the manuscript is accepted for publication, the authors agree to automatic transfer of the copyright to the publisher.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work
- The journal allows the author(s) to retain publishing rights without restrictions.
- The journal allows the author(s) to hold the copyright without restrictions.