Main Article Content
Mobile ad hoc network is a group of nodes that communicate via wireless links in the absence of a fixed infrastructure. The features of MANETs itself pose a number of opportunities and challenges to achieve the security goals that are authenticity, integrity, confidentiality, non-repudiation and availability. Security is an essential component in achieving basic network functions such as packet forwarding, routing and network management. This factor makes security the foremost concern of mobile ad hoc networks. Once it is ensured, only then these networks will gain confidence in the eyes of the commoners. The most effective way to obtain security is via a layered architecture. A layered architecture can provide such advantages as modularity, simplicity, flexibility, and standardization of protocols. Since the layers should be protected from the malicious attacks occurring due to the malicious nodes therefore these nodes must be identified and stopped from acting as authorized nodes or routers. The identification of these nodes is a tedious task since they portray themselves as valid nodes and does not provide any clue to recognize them. The malicious nodes are capable of providing false routing information and can drop some or all the data packets that pass through them. This paper provides the necessity of a layered architecture for security along with the overview of the mobile ad hoc network classification, advantages and disadvantages, vulnerabilities, challenges, applications, security goals and issues, attacks taking place in various layers.
Keywords: Malicious nodes, security, layered architecture, routing, data packets.
Submission of a manuscript implies: that the work described has not been published before, that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere; that if and when the manuscript is accepted for publication, the authors agree to automatic transfer of the copyright to the publisher.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work
- The journal allows the author(s) to retain publishing rights without restrictions.
- The journal allows the author(s) to hold the copyright without restrictions.