Main Article Content
One of the most neglected areas in systems implementation is data validation. Most application systems fail to achieve its set goals because there is no adequate and efficient data validation system to filter out input data that is not correct. Improper input data is responsible for a large number of system failures; and such failures could have been avoided or reduced if proper input data had been fed into the system. In this paper we focused on enhancing and elaborating on existing data validation methods like limits checks, character checks, range checks, presence checks, consistency checks, format or picture checks and data type checks, to improve the performance of our application systems. We also develop a sample program that integrates these validation techniques. A report was finally generated based on validated customer records created for Fractal Construction Nigeria Limited. The system was developed using PHP, MYSQL and XAMPP web server.
Keywords: Data validation, database, data base management system, database specification, relational model, normalization
Submission of a manuscript implies: that the work described has not been published before, that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere; that if and when the manuscript is accepted for publication, the authors agree to automatic transfer of the copyright to the publisher.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work
- The journal allows the author(s) to retain publishing rights without restrictions.
- The journal allows the author(s) to hold the copyright without restrictions.